|HOME||CD CATALOGS||BOOKS||INSTRUCTION MATERIALS||ARTICLES||V & P WILLIAMS||ORDERING||CONTACT US|
CD 370 FRANK FERREL: CLASSIC DOWN EAST FIDDLE MUSIC
There are no frets on the fingerboard of a fiddle. The fiddler learns to step and half step by feel, by instinct on a sliding scale of infinite tonal possibilities.
So the process begins, first the mechanics, the tackle, the tuning, scales, then the language, the rhythm, jigs and reels, slides and polkas, hornpipes and airs.
Turns and triplets, the left and right hand stepping and dancing out the flavor of the tune, notes slide and vibrate to that ancient order of notes. The fiddler knows only the view from the fingerboard. It's the view I know best.
1. Sir Wilfred Laurier's March/ Newcastle Clog/ Gaspé Reel Gilles Losier, piano
2. The Bee's Wing Hornpipe (James Hill) Graham Townsend, piano
3. Danse de la Victorie/ Cultivator's Reel/ Gatineau Reel Gilles Losier, piano
4. Desire Waltz (Joe Pancerzewski) Graham Townsend, piano
5. Firefly Reel/New Bedford Hornpipe Graham Townsend, piano
6. The Forth Brig/Golden Eagle Hornpipe/Free and Easy (Waldo Munro) Gilles Losier, piano
7. Gaudette Polka (Louis Gaudette) Gilles Losier, piano
8. Trip to Mabou Ridge (Dan Hugh MacEachern)/MacDonald's March/ Maid in a Box/ Milbrae (Ronald Cooper) Gilles Losier, piano
9. Jaunting Car/The Leaves of Spring Gilles Losier, piano
10. Joyous Waltz (Willie Ringuette) Graham Townsend, piano
11. The Way to Judique/The Judique Jig (Winston Fitzgerald) Gilles Losier, piano
12. Mackilmoyle/Peace River Breakdown (Ernest Couverette) Louis St. Laurent's (G. Townsend) Graham Townsend, piano, double fiddle
13. Maid Behing the Bar/Sheehan's Reel/Cooley's Reel Graham Townsend, piano
14. The Plumed Hat/La Bastringue/Snoring Mrs. Gobel Graham Townsend, piano
15. Port Townsend Jig (Frank Ferrel)/Salmon Boat Reel (Frank Ferrel) Giles Losier, piano
16. Mt. Rainier Reel (Frank Ferrel)/Half Penny Reel Graham Townsend, piano
17. Redwing/Walker Street Gilles Losier, piano
18. The Resting Chair (Tom Anderson)/The Blarney Pilgrim Gilles Losier, piano
19. Porteau Blanc/Speed the Plough Graham Townsend, piano
20. Tom MacCormick's Jig/Capers Jig Gilles Losier, piano
21. York County Hornpipe (Earl Mitton)/Shelburne Rotary Breakdown (Earl Mitton) Graham Townsend, piano
A compilation of two recordings first published by Voyager records in 1975 and 1980. Recorded in Seattle and Port Townsend, Washington. Engineered and mixed by Phil WIlliams and Dave Huber. Digitally re-mastered for CD by Lincoln Clapp at Maine Media Productions, Belfast Main 2006.
Frank Ferrel - fiddle
Gilles Losier - piano
Graham Townsend - piano
Graham Townsent - Twin fiddle
Frank Ferrel is widely regarded as a master fiddler, having won numerous championships throughout the U.S. and Canada. Many of his original compositions have become part of the standard repertoire of Maritimes fiddlers throughout North America.
Pianist Gilles Losier was born in Tacadie, New Brunswick, in 1936 and has been deeply involved in traditional music with dance groups and performers such as Les Danseurs du St. Laurent, and Quebec musicians Phillip Bruneau and Jean Carignan.
Although Graham Townsend (1942 - 1998) was a Canadian legend in the fiddle world, he was also an accomplished pianist. He's heard on this recording playing classic Down East piano as well as twin fiddle.
Thanks to musical voyagers, Phil and VIvian WIlliams for their support and encouragement over the years.
Inquiries: Frank Ferrel www.frankferrel.com Voyager Recordings www.voyagerrecords.com
Return to CD CatalogReturn to Voyager Recordings Home Page